Ask Associated Dental Care Sun City if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
There are different types of traditional crowns:
- Ceramic — These are used for restoring front teeth and are popular in this area for their ability to blend with your natural tooth color. The crown is made of a porcelain-based material.
- Porcelain-fused to metal – This crown provides a stronger bond than regular porcelain because it is connected to a metal structure. It's also extremely durable.
- Gold alloys – This crown is a mix of gold, copper and other metals. In addition to providing a strong bond to the tooth, it doesn't fracture or wear away the tooth itself.
- Base metal alloys – This crown is made up of non-noble metals that are highly resistant to corrosion and make for a very strong crown. It also requires the least amount of healthy tooth to be removed prior to fitting.
To make and place a traditional crown typically takes two separate appointments:
- The first appointment involves preparing (shaping) the tooth, taking an impression, and placing the temporary crown. The time needed to perform these steps can range from 30 minutes to an hour.
- During the time period between the two appointments, a dental laboratory will fabricate the crown. Two weeks or so are usually allotted for this process.
- When the patient returns for their second visit, the provider will cement the finished crown into place. This step can usually be completed in about 20 minutes or so.
Your provider at Associated Dental Care Sun City will evaluate whether a traditional crown is a good option for you. Call us at 623-876-8011.